Every October, LifeWorks organizes Models of Pride, which is one of the largest free LGBTQ conference in the country, for youth ages 12-24 at the University of Southern California. In addition to this, our Community Action Network program (CAN) holds a day-long conference for high schools Gay-Straight Alliances and LGBTQ clubs called the Models of Pride Leadership Institute the day before the Models of Pride Conference, where students are able to come together and participate in a day-long workshop that will provide them with invaluable skills and information such as leadership, communication, community building, student rights and social movements.
This is a great leadership opportunity for any student in a GSA or LGBTQ based school program who is interested in learning more about:
- Developing leadership skills
- Learning all about terminology and different definitions in the LGBTQ community
- Understanding identity
- Team building with other school GSAs and LGBT clubs
- Being an active member and role model in their community
- Learning how to make their school and community more LGBTQ inclusive
- Knowing their rights as LGBTQ students in high school and how to advocate for themselves
- Hearing people’s ‘coming out’ stories
- Learn how to plan actions on your school campus to raise awareness and gain visibility on campus
- Playing fun games!
- Meeting new people!!
- Advisors are always welcome too!
Last year at the Models of Pride Leadership Institute we had over 100 youth from 12 different GSAs and LGBT Clubs participate!
This year, our Models of Pride Leadership Institute is taking place on Friday, October 28th, 2016 from 9am-4pm. This would be a great opportunity for your club to make this a field trip for the day!
For the day, we provide:
- Compensation for bus transportation
- Compensation for 1 substitute teacher
- Light breakfast snacks
- An awesome experience and a chance to learn new information, meet new people and have fun!
LifeWorks is extremely invested in the development of, and supporting, LGBTQ youth and allies in high schools and colleges. We are passionate about spreading our knowledge and creating positive changes in our communities.
For more information, contact Tasha Colin at: firstname.lastname@example.org